Tuesday, December 8, 2009

flashbulb memory

This is something I learnt in Psychology and I truly believe that such a thing exists:

Flashbulb memory is a special form of vivid memory created because of intense emotion. These memories are detailed and are very vivid recollections of events; we'll remember things like who we were with, where we were, what we were doing at that time, how we felt etc. Situations like tragic events could cause these memories or even anything with an emotional attachment to it.

I still remember when we first learnt about such a thing we were imagining flashbulb memory to be something like what you see in cartoons. You know where a person's thinking and suddenly a light bulb lights up above his head and he comes up with this brilliant thought or idea. Lol.


It hasn't been scientifically proven to be true; I mean how can you prove it? So; there's a debate about whether these vivid memories are due to intense emotion or because it's just rehearsed; where we keep repeating it either in our minds or tell others about it..

Now I know why it's so easy for me to remember vivid details about certain things even if I don't consciously try to recall of it; it's just there. What about you? =)

2 comments:

Jeremy "KC T3h n00bKilleR" Tan said...

Oh my gosh, finally a post without God or Jesus or anything really remotely Christian about it... =P

serene said...

i don't think so. haha