Sunday, August 8, 2010

us applications workshop

My weekend was pretty much taken up by this event. 

It was at the Taylors Lakeside Campus yesterday and today. For both days; it lasted from 9am-6pm with only an hour break in between. Though I felt pretty tired here and there, I'd say it was worth the time and money.

I've done quite a lot of research on the U.S prior to this but I guess the workshop pretty much covered everything one needs to know to get ready for the application process. There're A LOT of things to do. I knew it all along yet I kept it on hold cause I've been so busy with college. 

For those who are interested to study in the U.S, you really missed a lot by not going for the workshop. Even things like interviews (mock ones too), essays, CommonApp and its supplements were covered extensively. The thing I remember the most and it was constantly echoed by many facilitators was that the application process is tedious and hard work but it also helps one to discover his/her true self. I'm yet to see that but I guess I will.

There were inspiring stories and encouragement for people like me who are afraid of getting bad SAT scores or have bad grades. Cause every aspect is looked at so it's pretty wholesome. And for me, I'm not going to apply to any Ivy League schools nor all those top ranked-ones. I'd go for any good liberal arts college around. 

I realize there isn't much time left; got less than 5 months to get everything done. Sounds pretty long but what with Lit coursework, college, tests and all, it's gonna be a very grueling period. I'm gonna have to take SATs in Nov/Dec too so I've gotta prepare for it too. Besides that, I need to get several forms filled, write application essays, research on colleges and courses etc. It's really overwhelming to see how much there needs to be done. And the thought itself makes me question if I can actually do all of it....

But a lot of the facilitators mentioned how at times you'll just feel like pulling your hair out and giving up in the middle of the process but you shouldn't give up cause the end will be worth it. Whether we make it to the schools we want to go is a whole different story, but even if we fail, knowing that we've tried we'll have no regrets. 

I know I don't have it in me to do all of this. But He's here for me; my source of strength and comfort. I'm really tired now, both physically and mentally from all that's been going on the past two days. But He will carry me through. 

Oh just to do Your will.. I'll try my best o Lord, and leave the rest to You... May You open the right doors, whichever they may be. 

:)


No comments: