Wednesday, March 17, 2010

of divinity and humanity

God is God and I am man.
So I'll never understand it all
Only God is God.

Religious Studies was really interesting today. Our lecturer told us that today's lesson was gonna be slightly tougher compared to what we've covered in previous classes. 3 hours of class today; we discussed and learned about the early church and their views of the person of Christ. Christology is as it states, the study of Christ. And in this case, what people saw Jesus as.

So this is a brief summary of what we went through in class as well as my own opinions. There isn't any right or wrong views for this; though we might take sides.

Ebionitism - A Jewish sect that believes JC is just an ordinary human. That's surely not what we believe.

Docetism (from the Greek δοκέω [dokeō], "to seem") is a belief that JC was totally divine but appeared as a human. We don't believe that either do we..

I'll skip out some parts as it will be confusing if I just post brief descriptions; it's really interesting though; can ask me if you wanna know more..

Then there's:

Arianism, the theological teaching of Arius where he states that the Father existed before the Son. Meaning to say, the Son was somehow believed to be a creature or created being; made by the Father. But is that really true?

He came up with another belief to do with the unknowability of God; the Son cannot know the Father; 'one who has a beginning is in no position to know the one who has no beginning'

I do agree with the quote; but only applying it to us humans and not Jesus. I'm far from agreeing with what Arianism stands for.. Moving on

Athanasius had interesting views: A creature is merely a creature and only God can save a creature, not another creature. Since we worship JC as God and not as a creature, it means He is indeed God.

Only God can save; Jesus saves and therefore, Jesus is God.

There're other schools of thought too but this will do.

So what was Jesus really? Was he just human, or completely God but in humanly form. Or was he half of both? Or was he 100% God and 100% man. I believed this; and still do.. But then I was asked; if He was fully man, why didn't he sin? Men, no matter how good, have the tendency to sin. But it's written in Hebrews that He was blameless... Fully man? Think about it.

And come to think of it; it's quite impossible to imagine that anything can be of two natures yet be one.

Ponder on this: God became human in order that humanity might become divine.

As we debated, it got abit frustrating cause there were always questions to something we say. It's just so hard coming to a conclusion. And I was saying how it seems like the more we know, the more doubts we are bound to have. We need childlike faith. And the conclusion made was that; as much as there's so much to debate about this issue; since the early church days till right now; people still have different opinions on who Jesus really is.

But the question is; do we really have to know? With our human minds that are so limited in its understanding; how can we ever comprehend all that is of Him? All that is of something divine; when we are mere humans... Many things in life we won't understand, but we just need to keep having faith and trusting that it will all be revealed to us someday. And till that day comes; we'll never ever doubt His deity. I believe, Jesus was 100% human when he walked this earth and yet was 100% God.

He is my God, my Saviour. He came to save us. And that's all we need to know. :)

Interesting much? Feel free to comment.

'Cause I know my God saved the day
And I know His word never fails
And I know my God made a way for me
Salvation is here

No comments: