Friday, July 16, 2010

Copa Iba

It's been quite a hectic week; wanted to post about Copa Iba but haven't had much time to get down to it. So here goes. :)

Friday: After CF, lunch with college peeps and dropping by YMCA booksale, I went to Wangsa Maju LRT with Amos; his church friend's dad picked us to go to a field nearby to practice. It was my second time meeting the team. Anyway practice was pretty intense as well as tiring. I was wondering how I would ever last the real competition when practice itself was abit too much for me. Then I realized; I barely exercise, so I guess I have an excuse. 

Went to Monica's house, one of the youths who weren't involved in the competition to stay the night. I didn't know her at all before that but she was really nice and her family was too. Went for dinner and CG after that; watched Facing the Giants; my fourth time watching. Lol. I slept shortly after I came back. The reason why I had to stay over was cause the comp was held in Klang, and I live really far from W.Maju; and I was supposed to go with them; so might as well make it easier for everyone. 

Saturday: The competition day. Met with the others at 6.15 and reached Klang in an hour. At 8 we had to gather for a brief sermon; it was an evangelistic event and the games started at 9. There were 4 groups consisting of 4 teams each; except for ours which had 5. And since we have to play each team twice, we had 8 games to play compared to other group teams who had 6. For the first time in my life, I drank a can of Red Bull and said it would be my last. Too sweet and medicinal tasting for my liking. But later on when I thought about it, I actually had a surge of energy that day and the 2 hours of gameplay didn't really wear me out like I expected. It must've been the Red Bull. I might just consider bearing with it in case of emergencies in the future.

The church I played for sent 2 teams, and sadly the draw was such that we were put in the same group. Well, overall we won 4 out of 8 games. The other church team won nearly all their games and went all the way to the semi's but were knocked out there. Anyhow, I think they played really well and were unlucky to get such a tough draw. For us, I think everyone did their best too, but with inexperienced people like me, I think there wasn't that much expectations either. Well, the main point is we had fun.

The day had so much drama. I thought I was rough; but when I came here, I realized what rough meant. Girls shoving, pushing, acting, shouting. You name it. I was downplayed in that sense, I didn't feel like being rough either; there wasn't supposed to be any body contact. Certain things happened which most of us felt like it was really unfair. But then again, it's the experience that counts and at least we tried... 

The whole team before the game.

Left at 4 plus, went for Bak Kut Teh with 24 other people; not everyone who came and played came along. Around 6, I was in one of the cars and was dropped off at Universiti LRT station; found out the LRT was down so I had no choice but to get back in the car. I didn't know how I was to go back. It was raining and there was jam; couldn't contact my friends at the condo either. So I ended up staying another night in Monica's place. Was really tired, slept early and woke up for the Germany-Uruguay match. Literally had to drag myself out of bed, muscles were already aching. The match was tensed enough to keep me awake. No regrets. 

Sunday: Went to their church. Service was alright. Met a few of those who were in the teams and stuff. Good to see them again for the last time perhaps. After brunch I was dropped off at Sentral and went back home from there. 

It was 3 tiring days for me, but I have no regrets though initially I had second thoughts about it. Made new great friends; and the competition experience was really something I would remember and cherish in the future. Definitely a highlight this year. I've never actually competed in any real competition; putting school Sports Day aside. And when I told my mum I was going to, she said she didn't know I played any particular sport. If you'd call Captain Ball a sport that is. Hah.

Both teams together

Guess everything worked out for the better. Thanks to my team mates and everyone else who has been so supportive and nice; all EEFC people whom I met. Thanks Amos for asking me to join the competition. Thanks to Monica and family who was so kind to have me stay over for 2 nights though I was a complete stranger. And most of all, I thank God for allowing everything to happen and fall into place. Thank You. :)


No comments: