Wednesday, July 7, 2010

support

People often wonder; how do you support so many teams? How do you divide it; why do you do it? Obviously one of them is gonna win since you support so many. I find it interesting how people perceive this and so I shall explain why.

Most importantly, I must say that I'm not supporting so many teams because I chose to. But because time has nurtured a special feeling in me for each of the teams I support. Well, there's 5, more to 4 because 1 of it has been recent. 

Namely there's England, Spain, Germany, Holland and Argentina. Here are my reasons for supporting each country.

1. England. Why England? People call them a joke, even EPL fans which is really sad. Jeremy said this in his blog "You may be a Koppite, you may be a Red Devil, you may be a Gooner, you may be anything. However, as long as you follow the Premier League, it is in your sworn duty, to support the Three Lions."

"It's not a matter of choice, it's a matter of duty. It's not because they are good or because Frank Lampard is handsome or because you have Portugal because of one specific person. It's because you know that deep down in your heart, the English team in the only team."

It's exactly the case for me. My loyalty to the English team started since I started watching football at 7 and I always used to claim I was an English girl. 

No true EPL fan would despise/not want England to succeed; it's betrayal. It still hurts to think of how badly they lost but it happens..

2. Spain. Some people who know naught would say I like Spain cause of Torres, who plays for Liverpool. As if I watch football for guys. The idea itself infuriates me, I have low patience with those who watch games and start commenting who's hot and who's not. Seriously, they need to get a life. Spain has always been a good and creative team with such great individual players as well. The likes of Xavi, Villa, Torres, Xabi Alonso, Ramos and Casillas; just a few names; are reason enough to support. They deserve victory, yes they do. And who can forget Raul, their star striker years back. Can't exactly remember when I started supporting them but it build up through the years and reached its peak during Euro 2008 which they won. :)

3. Germany. I remember it was 2002 that I started to notice how great they were. Perhaps they were brilliant in 1998, but watching at that age, what could I recall? I only remember the Brazil - France final where Brazil lost and that time I had hoped they would win. Ironically, the support faded and I was furious when the Germans lost to them. Kahn was extremely good throughout the whole tournament. Interesting personality. And I remember crying when I saw the players in tears after losing. They were so close. They've been better and better. Germany's the only team I support that doesn't have any Reds; yet it's the way they play and the spirit they have that makes me like them. 

4. Holland. A creative team with good players yet never really successful in winning the big ones. Seeing how eager they are to win it really pleases me. Especially now that they've reached the final. And yeah, the support gradually rose and ever since Euro, I've been rooting for them. 

5. Argentina. Well, this is the one I support the least, I prefer Europe teams in general. That's why when they went against Germany, I wouldn't mind if they had won though I prefer they didn't. Watching Mascherano captain the team is interesting and I've had a grown admiration for Messi who is such a great and humble World Footballer of the Year; compare him with Ronaldo who might be good but not great and far from humble. 

So you see, I do have reasons for supporting them though some cannot be explained; it's just there. I don't have a hard time dividing support. And the thing about having so many favourites; surely one will win; I beg to differ. I was so afraid when Spain and Germany lost in group stage and England struggling to qualify. It could've been worse. I mean I guess I just supported the right teams though it seemed different at first. 

Now that Holland's through to the finals, I know that whoever wins later is going to join them. And the fact that they are all my favourites; I'm more than glad. Sweet dream reality. 

I really don't get all the fuss about Paul the Octopus; even if his predictions are right, so what?

Even though I don't really mind whoever wins, I'm going to have mixed feelings at the end of the game tonight, even now I feel it. Spain has never reached the finals, not even the semi's and this could very well be their chance to make history and they can do it. But Germany's really strong and solid this time around, it will be too close to call. And seeing how well Germany have played, thrashing both England and Argentina, they deserve to win it too. They lost at home last World Cup and was so close to it in 02... So I really don't know... I should support Spain fully, since I would want success for any Liverpool player.. But I don't want Germany to lose either.... 

Oh, well.

No comments: